By: Chef Allysa Adamson
Chicken Skewers with Meyer Lemon Salsa
Makes 6 Servings
2 small Meyer lemons
1 large shallot
6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
½ cup finely chopped parsley leaves
1 teaspoon chili flakes
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2” pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon cracked coriander seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1. Quarter the lemon lengthwise, then remove the central membrane and the seeds. Finely dice the cleaned lemon, including the pith and peel. In a small bowl, combine the lemon bits and any juice you can manage to save with the shallot and vinegar. Let sit for 15 minutes to macerate.
2. In a separate small bowl, combine the parsley, chili flakes, olive oil, and a generous pinch of salt.
3. To serve, use a slotted spoon to add the Meyer lemon and shallot mixture (but not the vinegar, yet) to the herb oil. Taste and adjust for salt and acid as needed.
4. Place chicken in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. In a mini-processor or blender, purée cilantro, yogurt, vegetable oil, garlic, coriander, and turmeric. Pour marinade over chicken; toss to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before continuing.
5. Preheat broiler. Thread 4 pieces of chicken onto each skewer and transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil, turning once and watching closely to prevent burning until browned and cooked through about 8 minutes. (Alternatively, grill skewers over medium-high heat on a gas grill or over medium heat on a charcoal grill.) Transfer skewers to plates. Spoon Meyer lemon salsa over chicken.
Chicken (6)Fish (6)Bread (6)Vegetables (5)Vegetarian (5)Pork (4)Minneapolis (4)Sauces & Dressings (4)Griddle (4)Salad (4)Beef (3)Brunch (3)Sous Vide (3)Pizza (3)Lamb (2)Cocktails (2)Pasta (2)Speed Oven (1)Breakfast (1)