By: Chef Matt Chatfield
Beef Bulgogi Shortribs (Sous Vide Technique)
2-3 lbs beef short ribs “bone-in” ½ inch thin cut
4 green onions + 4 green tops reserved for garnish
1/2 cup soy sauce
¼ cup Mirin cooking wine
2 tbsp apple juice or ¼ cup fresh apple
2 tbsp water
5 garlic gloves smashed
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp sesame oil
1. In the Wolf blender add all the marinade ingredients and purée until smooth, about 30 seconds.
2. Reserve ½ the marinade in a separate container for later use.
3. In a bowl add short ribs and marinate with half the mixture. covered for 4 hours, but overnight preferable for maximum flavor.
4. Drain marinate from the short ribs. Place marinated short ribs in a vacuum seal bag and seal on a low vacuum setting if using the Wolf Vacuum Seal Drawer. Or use the moist setting on other vacuum sealers.
5. Prepare to sous vide cook for 8 hours by setting the Wolf Convection Steam Oven to Steam at 150 F. You may also use the Wolf Multi-function Cooker using the Sous Vide mode set to 150F.
6. Cook the Shortribs Sous Vide for 8 hours
7. Remove the Shortribs from the package to a traying for searing.
8. Heat gas or charcoal grill to 350°F. Drain excess marinade off short ribs. Grill turning once, about 4 minutes per side. The edges caramelize and get crispy.
9. Allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes then cut the meat across the grain thin, but feel free to eat off the bone. Reheat remaining marinade sauce to serve with finished shortribs Serve with green onions on top.
Chicken (6)Fish (6)Bread (6)Vegetables (5)Vegetarian (5)Pork (4)Minneapolis (4)Sauces & Dressings (4)Griddle (4)Salad (4)Beef (3)Brunch (3)Sous Vide (3)Pizza (3)Lamb (2)Cocktails (2)Pasta (2)Speed Oven (1)Breakfast (1)