By: Matt Chatfield
Mushroom Swiss Smash Burgers
- Olive oil (for pan)
- 1 pound ground beef chuck (20% fat)
- Kosher salt and course pepper
- 4 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 4 Brioche Burger rolls, toasted
- 2 cups sliced crimini or white mushrooms
- 1 cup julienne onions
- Accompaniments: Aioli, ketchup, bacon jam, Dijon, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato
- Pre-Heat the Wolf Griddle on your Range top to 350 F.
- Divide ground beef into 3 or 4 equal portions shaped like a ball (do not form patties).
- Add some olive oil to the griddle, then add the mushrooms and onions to cook while the burgers are cooking , and toasting the buns as well.
- When griddle has fully heated, place portions on griddle and smash flat with a metal spatula aggressively to about ½ inch thick or thinner, to form patties (craggy edges are your friend). Season liberally with salt and pepper, then cook, undisturbed, until outer edges are brown, about 2 minutes. Working with a straight edge metal spatula, chisel the patties to make sure you are getting all the crust you just developed.
- Turning the patties over, DO NOT PRESS again at this point, as this helps the burger retain the juices. Season with salt and pepper again, and place a slice of cheese, and the mushrooms and onions on top of each patty. Cook until cheese droops and burgers are medium, about 1-1 ½ minutes.
- Serve patties on rolls with desired accompaniments.
fish (6)appetizers (6)vegetables (5)Vegetarian (5)chicken (5)pork (4)Sauces & Dressings (4)griddle (4)Pizza (3)Sous Vide (3)Salad (3)Beef (3)Minneapolis (3)Brunch (3)Cocktails (2)lamb (2)Pasta (2)Speed Oven (1)