By: Chef Matt Chatfield
Mushroom Swiss Smash Burgers
Olive oil (for pan)
1 pound ground beef chuck (20% fat)
Kosher salt and coarse pepper
4 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese
4 Brioche Burger rolls, toasted
2 cups sliced crimini or white mushrooms
1 cup julienne onions
Optional: Aioli, ketchup, bacon jam, Dijon, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato
1. Pre-Heat the Wolf Griddle on your Range top to 350 F.
2. Divide ground beef into 3 or 4 equal portions shaped like a ball (do not form patties).
3. Add some olive oil to the griddle, then add the mushrooms and onions to cook while the burgers are cooking , and toasting the buns as well.
4. When the griddle has fully heated, place portions on the griddle and smash flat with a metal spatula aggressively to about ½ inch thick or thinner, to form patties (craggy edges are your friend). Season liberally with salt and pepper, then cook, undisturbed, until outer edges are brown, about 2 minutes. Working with a straight edge metal spatula, chisel the patties to make sure you are getting all the crust you just developed.
5. Turning the patties over, DO NOT PRESS again at this point, as this helps the burger retain the juices. Season with salt and pepper again, and place a slice of cheese, and the mushrooms and onions on top of each patty. Cook until cheese droops and burgers are medium, about 1-1 ½ minutes.
6. Serve patties on rolls with desired accompaniments.
Vegetarian (10)Brunch (10)Grilling (9)Vegetables (8)Bread (7)Minneapolis (7)Fish (7)Griddle (6)Chicken (6)Salad (6)Pork (5)Sauces & Dressings (4)Beef (3)Sous Vide (3)Pasta (3)Pizza (3)Lamb (2)Cocktails (2)Speed Oven (1)