By: Ben Davis
New York Style Bagels
(makes 8 bagels)
300 ml water (90 to 100oF)
2 tsp sugar or other sweetener (honey, agave, malt syrup)
2 tsp active dry yeast
500 g all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp fine sea or iodized salt
1 egg white lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
Toppings of your choice-sesame seeds, minced dried onion, poppy seeds, coarse flaked salt, Parmesan cheese, Everything bagel topping
1. In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, bloom the yeast in the warm water with the sweetener until there is a foam on the top of the water and a rich yeast smell in the bowl. This will take from 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Add the flour and salt and use the dough hook attachment to mix on medium speed for about 7 minutes or until you have a smooth and elastic dough that is not sticky.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and place in the Wolf convection steam oven set on Proof/100oF. All the dough to prove for 30 minutes or until well puffed and soft.
4. Punch down the dough then turn out onto a non-floured work surface and roll into a log about 16” long. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into a tight ball using a cupped hand and pressing the dough lightly into the counter.
5. Press your thumb through the center of a ball of dough to create a hole then gently widen the hole so it is approximately 2” in diameter. The hole can be larger than the 2” as it will shrink as the bagels bake. Place the formed bagels on a parchment paper lined tray for the CSO.
6. Set the CSO to Steam/210oF. Steam the bagels for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and reset the oven to Convection/430o F.
7. Brush the bagels with the beaten egg white and top with the ingredients of your choice. Return to the hot oven for 12-15 minutes or until the bagels are golden brown and shiny. Transfer to a rack and cool for 5 to 10 minutes prior to slicing.
chicken (5)appetizers (5)Side Dishes (4)Vegetarian (4)vegetables (4)griddle (4)pork (4)Salad (3)Sous Vide (3)Sauces & Dressings (3)Pizza (3)Beef (3)Minneapolis (2)Cocktails (2)Brunch (2)lamb (2)Pasta (2)