By: Chef Mike Shannon
Diner-Style Mac and Cheese
8 ounces macaroni, penne, or ziti
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
½ cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup parmesan, grated
½ cup finely chopped shallots
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup dry white wine
1 cup milk
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
8 oz. gruyere, grated
4 oz. white cheddar, grated
2 Tablespoons of gorgonzola crumbled
2 Tablespoons minced fresh chives
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne
3 eggs, whipped
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease a shallow baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
2. Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling, well-salted water until just cooked al dente according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
3. Melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in a small skillet over low heat and add panko and parmesan. Stir to coat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring periodically until golden brown. Remove from skillet aside.
4. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter. Add the shallots and cook until just softened about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the warmed butter with flour and cook, stirring continuously, for one minute. Add the wine, milk, cream, and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Fold in cheeses and stir until melted. Add chives, Dijon, and cayenne. Stir cooked pasta into cheese mixture, then add eggs, mix well and pour all into a shallow baking dish.
5. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over pasta; bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and the top is deeply browned. Allow the dish to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Vegetarian (10)Brunch (10)Grilling (9)Vegetables (8)Bread (7)Minneapolis (7)Fish (7)Griddle (6)Chicken (6)Salad (6)Pork (5)Sauces & Dressings (4)Beef (3)Sous Vide (3)Pasta (3)Pizza (3)Lamb (2)Cocktails (2)Speed Oven (1)