By: Chef Allysa Adamson
Spatchcocked Roasted Turkey with Sherry Vinegar Glaze
1 12–15-lb. turkey, giblets discarded, patted dry
6 Tbsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup sherry vinegar
½ cup honey
½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
1. Place turkey, breast side down, on a cutting board. Using sharp shears cup out the backbone. Turn skin side up and press down on breastbone to flatten. You should hear a crack and feel the bones give way. (Save turkey backbone and neck for roasting separately, to make gravy.)
2. Place 6 Tbsp. salt, brown sugar, and paprika in a small bowl and work together with your fingers until incorporated. Sprinkle dry brine all over outside and inside of the turkey, patting to adhere and nudging some into crevices. Place turkey on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and chill, uncovered, for at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.
3. Let the turkey sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Rub all over with olive oil. Pour 1 cup water into baking sheet and place in Dual Fuel Convection Oven on the second from the bottom rack with legs toward the back of the oven. Insert the temperature probe into the thickest part of the breast (go at an angle and make sure it is not touching any bones). Select mode Convection Roast at 400 degrees, set the probe to 155 degrees.
4. Combine the last 6 ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes to make a glaze.
5. After the turkey has been in the oven for about 30 minutes, baste all over with the glaze. Repeat after another 30 minutes. If the turkey is browning too quickly, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
6. When the turkey is done, remove it from the oven, brush it with the glaze once more, and then let rest for at least 45 minutes before carving.
Chicken (6)Fish (6)Bread (6)Vegetables (5)Vegetarian (5)Pork (4)Minneapolis (4)Sauces & Dressings (4)Griddle (4)Salad (4)Beef (3)Brunch (3)Sous Vide (3)Pizza (3)Lamb (2)Cocktails (2)Pasta (2)Speed Oven (1)Breakfast (1)