By: Ben Davis
Parmesan Baked Spinach and Mushrooms
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
1 cup boiling water
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 oz Crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 small shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 lbs. fresh spinach stems removed
1 ¾ cups heavy cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ tsp nutmeg
Kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the porcini mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and all the mushrooms to rehydrate for 30 minutes. When the mushrooms are soft, strain the liquid through a single layer of paper towels and reserve for future use in a soup, stew or braised dish. Rinse the mushrooms under cold running water and set aside.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. When the butter foams add the sliced Crimini mushrooms and porcini mushrooms in a single layer. Do not stir. Cook on medium high heat until the mushrooms start to sizzle then reduce the heat to low and cook until the mushrooms are soft and just starting to brown. This will take between 8 and 12 minutes. During this time do not stir the mushrooms as it will cause the water to release and the mushrooms will steam and not brown. After the mushrooms start to brown, increase the heat to medium high, add the minced shallot and garlic and stir to combine. Cook until the mushrooms are a deep brown color and aromatic from the shallot and garlic. Transfer to a large bowl and set a side.
3. Combine the eggs and cream in the bowl and beat for a minute then add to the mushrooms. Add the cheese and seasonings and stir to combine.
4. Place the spinach in on 2 perforated pans for the Convection steam oven. Place the pan in rack positions 1 and 3. Choose Gourmet/Vegetables/Leaf spinach/Enter. Remove from the oven, be careful the pans will be hot. Gently press as much water as possible from the spinach by wrapping the spinach in a clean linen towel and squeezing. Then coarsely chop and add to the cream mixture. Pour the mixture into a lightly buttered, 9”x13” pan. Top with a scattering of more Parmesan if desired.
5. Place the pan in the Convection steam oven on the wire rack in position 1. Set the mode to Convection Humid, 375oF and bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. (If you do not own a Convection Steam Oven, bake in a preheated 350oF Wolf convection oven in the Bake Mode, rack position 3 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top.)
Bread (6)appetizers (6)Vegetarian (5)vegetables (5)chicken (5)pork (4)griddle (4)Sauces & Dressings (4)Minneapolis (3)Sous Vide (3)Pizza (3)Beef (3)Salad (3)Cocktails (2)Brunch (2)Pasta (2)lamb (2)