By: Chef Brandie Lamb
Homemade Brown Gravy
3 turkey or chicken wings, separate pieces
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 heads of garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 large shallots, unpeeled, halved
1 4” piece ginger, scrubbed, thickly sliced
4 oz crimini, shiitake, white button mushrooms, torn into large pieces
2 tsp black peppercorns, lightly crushed
6 tbsp AP flour
4 tbsp butter, room temp
1⁄2 cup sherry
1⁄2 cup parsley and/or parsley stems
6 cups poultry stock, warmed
2 tsp sherry vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Turn Wolf oven on to 450F and toss wings into cast iron or oven-safe skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil. Roast until golden brown, about 25-35 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and add garlic, shallots, ginger, mushrooms, peppercorns, and remaining olive oil. Toss to coat and return to oven for another 30-40 minutes.
3. Mash butter and flour together in a separate small bowl. Remove skillet from oven and set over medium-high heat on cooktop. Add sherry and cook, stirring and scraping up fond (wings should still be in the pan too). Reduce for about 2-3 minutes. Scrape everything into a larger pot and add parsley and stock.
4. Bring to a simmer and scrape off fat collected on the surface, if any. Should reduce by about a third, about 30-40 minutes. Remove and discard wings. Pour liquid mixture through a strainer into a bowl. Discard solids. Return stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. Whisking, add butter-flour mixture and whisk until completely incorporated. Simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, 6-8 more minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vinegar.
5. Season as needed. If making ahead, do all of the steps except adding vinegar at end. When ready to serve, heat over medium-low on the cooktop and add vinegar 3-5 minutes before serving.
Vegetarian (10)Brunch (10)Grilling (9)Vegetables (8)Bread (7)Minneapolis (7)Fish (7)Griddle (6)Chicken (6)Salad (6)Pork (5)Sauces & Dressings (4)Beef (3)Sous Vide (3)Pasta (3)Pizza (3)Lamb (2)Cocktails (2)Speed Oven (1)