By: Chef Ben Davis
Candy Cane Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp fine salt
¼ tsp baking soda
12 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Red food coloring
1. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment beat the butter over low speed until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar in a steady stream and beat for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the egg and vanilla and mix briefly. Reduce the speed and add the dry ingredients in two additions stirring only until just combined.
4. Remove about 1/2 of the dough to a separate bowl and add enough red food coloring to color the dough a deep, bright red. Chill both doughs for about 15 minutes or until just firm.
5. Preheat a Wolf M, E, or Dual fuel oven to 350o F in the Bake mode for a single tray or Convection mode for 2 or more trays.
6. Divide each bowl of dough into equal portions of about 1 tbsp each. Roll each piece into a rope of about 4 inches in length. Press the end of a white rope and red rope together and then twist into a straight candy cane. Place on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and curve one end to look like a candy cane.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes then cool on the tray for another minute and transfer to a rack
Brunch (9)Grilling (9)Vegetarian (8)Bread (7)Vegetables (7)Fish (6)Chicken (6)Griddle (6)Pork (5)Salad (5)Minneapolis (5)Sauces & Dressings (4)Beef (3)Sous Vide (3)Pizza (3)Lamb (2)Pasta (2)Cocktails (2)Speed Oven (1)