By: Ben Davis
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
(Makes approximately 72 cookies)
2 cups granulated sugar
Zest of three lemons
1 cup unsalted butter (8 oz or 2 sticks), softened
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp lemon extract
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
4 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Confectioner’s sugar for rolling
1. Place the sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and zest the lemons directly into the bowl. Using the paddle attachment, blend the sugar with the zest for 1 to 2 minutes on low speed. Add the butter and cream the sugar and butter until light.
2. With the mixer running on low speed add the eggs, 1 x 1, the mixture will start to look broken. When the eggs are completely blended into the mixture add the lemon juice, extract and food color (if using) and blend briefly.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cardamom, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the mixer and blend until streaks of flour still remain. Remove the bowl from the mixer and finish blending with a rubber spatula. Chill the dough for about an hour before portioning.
4. To portion, scoop the batter into 1 oz balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar. Place on a parchment paper lined sheet tray. When all the cookies are portioned, place the tray in the freezer and freeze for at least 2 hours. Store in Ziploc bags until ready to bake.
5. To bake, preheat the CSO to 350oF in Convection mode. Place 12 cookies on a parchment paper lined tray. Bake for 13 minutes (if defrosted)/15 minutes (if frozen) in rack position 2. Transfer to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
chicken (5)appetizers (5)Side Dishes (4)Vegetarian (4)vegetables (4)griddle (4)pork (4)Salad (3)Sous Vide (3)Sauces & Dressings (3)Pizza (3)Beef (3)Minneapolis (2)Cocktails (2)Brunch (2)lamb (2)Pasta (2)